Thursday, January 5, 2012

In which the writer accepts that she needs challenges

Evidently, this is to be the year of the challenge. I had originally gone into 2012 much as I had the past few years - no reason to have any resolutions because I never stick to them. But then some of my friends were doing some challenges as a group that I decided to join, and I somehow ended up committing to a bunch of different challenges. I decided that i would start with 4 and then add on if necessary but the main goal or err I guess resolution is to challenge myself everyday to become the person I want to be.

The Challenges

1. 365 Day Photo Challenge - you may have seen this floating around on the interwebs. A bunch of my facebook friends are doing it and I decided that it would be a great way to both improve my photography skills and capture the daily adventures of Z and Mac. So I will be taking pictures of every.single.day and posting them on here. The posts will likely be wordless as I think most pictures of my crazy duo speak for themselves. I'm not promising that these posts will be all of that mind blowing - just everyday life with a 4 and 1 year old.

2. My Fitness Pal - wanna know every little thing I eat every single day? Then become my friend on MFP because that is where i will be tracking it all. I really need to take control of this aspect of my life and while I have had success on weight watchers in the past I really don't want to spend the money on it (see goal #4). MFP is free and I am committed to making it work for me. This will be the hardest thing but hey they don't call it a challenge for nothing!

3. Cleaning and organization - Tim and I divided our house into 10 areas with each of us responsible for 1 area a day. We came up with a list of chores per area that have to be done every week in order to keep that area clean and organized. He got the kitchen. Ha. The end goal is to have NO cleaning or organizing to do on the weekend at all! Except for my 3.1 challenge which is to plan out family dinners 2 weeks in advanced so we can eat healthier (see goal #2)! and spend less money (see goal #4)!

4. Save money. spend less. - at first I thought my goal of shop less was enough of a challenge but then I realized that shopping less and even spending less wont necessarily put that money into savings. So my goal has expanded. We are starting the year off with a No Spend January. That's right folks, I will not be spending money, not even a dime, on anything that isn't a necessity. Ok so yeah I do kinda think of my $50+ trips to target as necessities but Tim does not so for now I'll have to get my kicks at the grocery store, BGE, gas station and comcast.

So there you have it, 4 really tough challenges for a girl who hasn't taken on very many challenges at all as of late. Hopefully this blog will hold me accountable and function as a sounding board when i need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment